The Town of Mayodan is responsible for zoning and land subdivision regulation inside the corporate limits and also within a one-mile Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) boundary.  The ETJ extends from the original Town Boundaries not from newly annexed areas near the NC 135/US 220 intersection.

The Zoning Board is a recommending body made up of individuals that live either in-town or within the ETJ boundaries.  The board meetings are held every month on the 3rd Thursday at 7:00pm, as needed.  The meetings are held in the Mayodan Council Chambers in Town Hall.

The Zoning Board also acts as the Board of Adjustment that hears quasi-judicial appeals of the zoning official (Town Manager) or variances of the Zoning Ordinance.


Flood Insurance Maps

Mayodan participates in the Federal Flood Insurance Program which helps property owners be able to purchase affordable flood insurance.  Property owners can use the link below to enter an address to look up their property and determine if it is located in a flood zone. Flood Insurance Map

Future Land Use Maps

The Mayodan Town Council adopted the updated Future Landuse Map at their November 12, 2013 Town Council meeting.  The Plan provides a guide to the general development of land in and around Mayodan.  It does not have the force of an adopted ordinance, and changes are to be expected as property is developed. Download the map here.

Mayodan Zoning & Subdivision Ordinances

The Mayodan Zoning & Subdivision Ordinances establish the rules for land development.

The official ordinances are kept by the Town at Town Hall. Below are unofficial copies to help those interested in developing property within Mayodan’s jurisdiction. For more information or to review the most up to date ordinances please contact Town Hall (336) 427-0241.

Mayodan Zoning Ordinance 2021 v with 160D

Mayodan Subdivision Ordinance

The Water Plant is able to produce over 3 million gallons of clean water for the citizens and industry of Mayodan. 

Currently, the plant produces approximately 500,000 gallons daily. 

The source for our water is the Mayo River.  Mayodan sells water to Stoneville and is interconnected with Madison.  This interconnection is important because Madison draws its’ water from the Dan River, this helps to protect the two towns from drought or other emergency.

The Water Plant staff perform a variety of daily and monthly tests to insure that Mayodan’s water meets the high standards of North Carolina and the federal government.

Annually, the Town produces a water quality report available at the link below and posted at the Town Hall.  You may download a copy below.

2018CCRfinal Annual Drinking Water Quality Report for Towns of Mayodan/Stoneville

NC Department of Enivronment & Natural Resources Link to division of Water Resources
Zoning Permits and Building Inspections

The Town requires that a zoning permit be approved for any activity that changes the use of a property or building; Adds additional buildings to a property (regardless of size); or increases the size of an existing building (additions, porches, etc.).

Zoning Permits are available at Town Hall.  The cost of a permit is $30.00.

Building Permits

Mayodan contracts with Rockingham County for building inspection services including building, plumbing/HVAC, and electrical permits.  If the requirements for a zoning permit are met then you must get the zoning permit first then you may apply for the building permit.  In some instances you may be required to get a zoning permit, but not a building permit and in other cases you may not need a zoning permit, but need a building permit.  If you are unsure of what permits you may need please contact Town Hall at (336) 427-0241.

The Rockingham County Inspections Department is located within the Rockingham County Government Office – 371 NC Hwy 65 – Reidsville NC 27320.

The phone number is (336) 342-8130.



James A. Collins Municipal Building 210 West Main St. Mayodan, NC 27027 336.427.0241 MAP IT!

The Administrative Department is led by the Town Manager who oversees and supports all of the other departments of the Town.  The department is directly responsible for Planning and Development, Grant Administration, Economic Development, and Personnel.

Mayodan Sanitation Department

Mayodan provides solid waste, leaf and lawn debris, and recycling services to all town residential properties and commercial properties that do not require a dumpster.  For more information about each service select a link below.

For more information about Town solid waste services see this page.

Sewer Division

The Sewer Division is responsible for maintaining all of the sewer lines (AKA Collection System) within Mayodan.  This includes all of the pump lift stations, manholes, and aerial lines. 

The Division keeps the lines clean of grease and waste which allows the system to work effectively and efficiently.

Customers include residents, businesses, and industrial users.  Each customer is responsible for maintaining the lines within their building and on their private property until the sewage enters the public system. 

Some businesses, such as restaurants, must have grease traps to remove extra grease and debris that can cause the lines to become clogged, leading to sewerage spills.  Many industrial users must provide pretreatment for their waste water, removing chemicals from the waste before it enters the public system.All of the sewerage lines eventually flow into the Mayodan Wastewater Treatment plant located on the eastern side of the Mayo River.

Collection System Performance – 2014/2015
Collection System Performance – 2012/2013

Water Division

This Division is responsible for water billing, water meter installation, water line maintenance, repair, and replacement of town water lines.  The Public Works Director oversees the operations of the division.

Town of Mayodan Backflow Inspection Report
Chapter 6, Section 6.19 Quality of Public Potable Water Supply (Cross Connection)

How do I report a water leak or sewer back-up?

Water or sewer line breaks in the public right-of-way should be reported to the Town as quickly as possible.  During regular business hours call Town Hall at (336) 427-0241.  On holidays and after hours call the Police Department non-emergency number (336) 548-6038.

If you have a sewer back-up call a plumber or check the clean-out in your yard to determine if the back-up is on your property or part of the public sewer system.  If it is part of the public system follow the procedures above for reporting a water leak.

How do I book an event at Farris Memorial Park?

The Madison-Mayodan Recreation Department is responsible for scheduling and reserving the picnic shelters and playing fields at Farris Memorial Park.  Call (336) 548-9572 for availability.

How do I pay my utility bill

Utility bills include water, sewer, and solid waste (if applicable) charges. Residential billing is every-other month.

Bills are typically mailed on the 25th of each even month (February, April, June, August, October, December) and are due on the 10th of each odd month (January, March, May, July, September, November). A late fee of 10% is added automatically on any payments not received by 8:00 am at Town Hall on the 11th (or the first business day after the 11th).

Drop box is available next to the front doors of Town Hall.  The Town mails all bills through the US postal service, you are responsible for the bill regardless of delivery date or lost mail.  It is recommended that you send any automated bill payments through your own bank at least 5-7 days before the due date. Unpaid bills are subject to cut-off.

Typically cut-off occurs during the first week of an even month for a bill due on the 10th of the previous month (For Example: Bill is mailed February 25th; the bill is due March 10th; cut-off will take place the first week of April).

If the bill is not paid by the cut-off date then an administrative service fee of $35 will be applied to the account- regardless if the service is cut-off or not.

The service fee and the account outstanding balance must be paid before service will be turned on. We would like to remind water/sewer customers of the Town’s disconnection policies with regard to non-payment of account balances.

The policy states, “If an account is cut off twice in a 24-month period, the customer will also be responsible for an additional deposit as set by Town Council. This deposit will be required of all customers, whether owner or renter.”

Customers with two disconnections for non-payment in a 24-month period from August 2016 forward would be required to pay an additional deposit of $100.00, administrative fee of $35, and the past due water/sewer bill in full prior to re-connection of services.

The Town accepts payment for utility bills by mail, in-person, drop box, Automated Bank Draft or Credit/Debit card. Make all check or money orders out to “Town of Mayodan”.

Please include your account number on the check. You must pay in-person if using a debit or credit card. Debit and credit cards may only be used for utility payments once service is established. Deposits for service must be cash, check, or money order. Mail:
 Mayodan Town Hall
210 West Main Street 210 West Main Street
Mayodan, NC 27027 M-F 8:00-5:00; Closed on Town Holidays There is a drop box located next to the front door of Town Hall Automated Bank Draft can be arranged.  Fill out this form and bring to Town Hall.

How do I turn water on?

Application for services must be made in person Monday – Friday at Town Hall, 210 West Main Street between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm. In order to be guaranteed same day service application must be made by 3:00pm. A printable application is below.

In order to receive water/sewer and solid waste services you must fill-out and sign a Mayodan Utility Services Agreement. All customers must show a photo ID (Driver License, other state ID, school ID, or employee ID are all acceptable). Customers must be in good standing and not owe on any other Mayodan utility accounts.

If you are renting the property you must provide a $100 deposit (cash, check, or money order) and must not owe money to the Town for other utility accounts. Renters must also provide proof of a rental agreement before the water will be turned on.

If you are considered a “high risk” customer with the Town of Mayodan you may be required to pay a higher deposit amount whether owner or renter. Payments may be made by cash, check, money order, credit/debit card, or automated bank draft. Below is the Automated Bank Draft Form.  Payments are NOT taken over the phone.

Please contact Donna Bennett, Utility Billing Clerk, at (336) 427-0241 with questions or for more information.
Water/Sewer Service Application Please print, fill-out, and bring to Town Hall with all necessary documents and fees.
Automated Bank Draft form You must submit this document and a voided check to establish automated bank drafts.

How do I recycle?

As of December 2015, the Town of Mayodan provides curb-side recycling pick-up through a contract with Foot Waste Solutions.  Residential pick-up is every other Wednesday (see calendar for schedule).  Items that can be recycled are listed below.  Items should not be bagged (plastic bags are not recyclable), any food waste should be cleaned from cans.

NOTE: Styrofoam is not recyclable.  Please do not put Styrofoam cups or carry-out food containers in recycling carts.

Commercial businesses that are serviced by the Town of Mayodan for regular solid waste pick-up are eligible to participate in the Town curb-side recycling program.  Pick-up is every other week, the same as residential recycling pick-up.

What can be recycled:

• Aluminum food and beverage containers;
• Glass food and beverage containers – brown, clear, or green;
• Ferrous (iron) cans;
• PET plastic containers with the symbol #1 – with screw tops only, without tops;
• HDPE natural plastic containers with the symbol #2 – narrow neck containers only (milk or water bottles);
• HDPE pigmented plastic containers with the symbol #2 – narrow neck containers only, without tops (detergent, shampoo bottles, etc.);
• Plastics with symbols #3, #4, #5, #6, #7 – narrow and screw top containers;
• Newsprint; corrugated cardboard; Magazines; Catalogs; Cereal Boxes; Telephone Books; Printer Paper; Copier Paper; Mail; All other office paper without wax liners

Materials not accepted, include but are not limited to, the following:

Microwave Trays; Mirrors; Window or auto glass; Light bulbs; Ceramics; Porclain; Plastics (unnumbered); Plastic bags (grocery bags can be taken back to most major store chains); Coat Hangers; Glass cookware/bakeware; Household items such as cooking pots, toasters, etc.

How do I report a street light outage or request a street light be installed?

Report a street light outage or request a street light

To report a street light outage directly to Duke Energy please click here.

You will need to have an email address to make the report.  If you do not have an email address you may call Town Hall at 427-0241 to make a report.

To request a new street light please call the Town Manager at (336) 427-0241.  The Town Manager will review the request and determine if the request is appropriate and will have the desired affect.  Lighting requests will be evaluated based on location, number of street lights in the area, number of properties affected, and if it will enhance the safety and security of the roadway or properties adjacent to the road.

What are guidelines for filling a swimming pool?

Filling A Pool

Pool Filling –Customers may request an adjustment to the utility bill for sewer usage when filling pools under the following circumstances:
Adjustments may only be made once per calendar year.
Customers must contact the Town at least 1 business day before initiating pool filling activities.

Fire Department hoses will not be used to fill pools except under special circumstances approved by the Public Works Director in advance. 

A $25 administrative fee (per day) shall be applied for any pool filled with a fire hose.

Pool filling of less than 3,000 gallons will not be given any credit.
 If a pool filling is more than 3,000 gallons but less than 10,000 gallons a credit of $20 will be given upon customer proof that they have purchased* a pool and contacted the Town before filling begins.

If a pool filling is 10,000 gallons or more, a credit of $50 will be given upon customer proof that they have purchased a pool and contacted the Town before filling begins.
*Proof of purchase may include any of the following- previous year pool filling credit; receipt; or visual inspection by Town staff.

To determine how many gallons your pool holds make the following calculation:


For rectangular or square pools:
Multiply the Length x Width x Average Depth x 7.5 = Total Gallons

EXAMPLE 20 x 10 x 4 x 7.5 = 6,000 gallons

For Oval/Kidney and Round Pools:
Multiply the Diameter x Diameter X Average Depth x 5.9 = Total Gallons

EXAMPLE 12 x 12 x 4 x 5.9 = 3,398 gallons

Contact Donna Bennett, Utility Billing Clerk (336) 427-0241, if you have questions or to report a pool filling.

Does the town have leaf collection?

As of August 1, 2015, bagged grass and yard clippings are generally picked-up on Mondays, but may also be picked-up on Tuesdays or other days of the week depending on holiday schedules, workload, and weather.

Mayodan provides curb-side leaf pickup November through January.  All leaves must be raked into piles behind the curb.  Please do not place leaves in the gutters or drainage ditches, this causes water to back-up onto the public roads and private property.  Leaf piles should not have any sticks, stones, garbage or other debris included in the piles.

Town crews move through the Town on a continual basis, however delays due to rain, snow, or extreme cold will affect the timing of leaf pick-up.  Our goal is to provide leaf pickup at least three times throughout the season.

When is garbage collected and what does it cost?

Mayodan provides once-a-week curb-side solid waste pick-up for residential costumers (Tuesdays) and twice-a-week curb-side pick-up for commercial properties (Tuesdays and Fridays) that do not need a dumpster.

As of August 1, 2015, the Town contracts for Foothill Waste Solutions for solid waste pick-up.

(1 can) Residential $12.00 per month/Commercial $24.00 per month
Additional Can charge: Residential $10.00 per month/Commercial $20.00 per month

Download our Solid Waste brochure.