FAQs: Live

How do I report a water leak or sewer back-up?

Water or sewer line breaks in the public right-of-way should be reported to the Town as quickly as possible. During regular business hours call Town Hall at (336) 427-0241. On holidays and after hours call the Police Department non-emergency number (336) 548-6038.

If you have a sewer back-up call a plumber or check the clean-out in your yard to determine if the back-up is on your property or part of the public sewer system. If it is part of the public system follow the procedures above for reporting a water leak.

How do I pay my utility bill

Utility bills include water, sewer, and solid waste (if applicable) charges. Residential billing is every-other month.

Bills are typically mailed on the 25th of each even month (February, April, June, August, October, December) and are due on the 10th of each odd month (January, March, May, July, September, November). A late fee of 10% is added automatically on any payments not received by 8:00 am at Town Hall on the 11th (or the first business day after the 11th).

Drop box is available next to the front doors of Town Hall. The Town mails all bills through the US postal service, you are responsible for the bill regardless of delivery date or lost mail.  It is recommended that you send any automated bill payments through your own bank at least 5-7 days before the due date. Unpaid bills are subject to cut-off.

Typically cut-off occurs during the first week of an even month for a bill due on the 10th of the previous month (For Example: Bill is mailed February 25th; the bill is due March 10th; cut-off will take place the first week of April).

If the bill is not paid by the cut-off date then an administrative service fee of $35 will be applied to the account- regardless if the service is cut-off or not.

The service fee and the account outstanding balance must be paid before service will be turned on. We would like to remind water/sewer customers of the Town’s disconnection policies with regard to non-payment of account balances.

The policy states, “If an account is cut off twice in a 24-month period, the customer will also be responsible for an additional deposit as set by Town Council. This deposit will be required of all customers, whether owner or renter.”

Customers with two disconnections for non-payment in a 24-month period from August 2016 forward would be required to pay an additional deposit of $100.00, administrative fee of $35, and the past due water/sewer bill in full prior to re-connection of services.

The Town accepts payment for utility bills by mail, in-person, drop box, Automated Bank Draft or Credit/Debit card. Make all check or money orders out to “Town of Mayodan”.

Please include your account number on the check. You must pay in-person if using a debit or credit card. Debit and credit cards may only be used for utility payments once service is established. Deposits for service must be cash, check, or money order. Mail:
 Mayodan Town Hall
210 West Main Street 210 West Main Street
Mayodan, NC 27027 M-F 8:00-5:00; Closed on Town Holidays There is a drop box located next to the front door of Town Hall Automated Bank Draft can be arranged.  Fill out this form and bring to Town Hall.

How do I turn water on?

Application for services must be made in person Monday – Friday at Town Hall, 210 West Main Street between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm. In order to be guaranteed same day service application must be made by 3:00pm. A printable application is below.

In order to receive water/sewer and solid waste services you must fill-out and sign a Mayodan Utility Services Agreement. All customers must show a photo ID (Driver License, other state ID, school ID, or employee ID are all acceptable). Customers must be in good standing and not owe on any other Mayodan utility accounts.

If you are renting the property you must provide a $100 deposit (cash, check, or money order) and must not owe money to the Town for other utility accounts. Renters must also provide proof of a rental agreement before the water will be turned on.

If you are considered a “high risk” customer with the Town of Mayodan you may be required to pay a higher deposit amount whether owner or renter. Payments may be made by cash, check, money order, credit/debit card, or automated bank draft. Below is the Automated Bank Draft Form. Payments are NOT taken over the phone.

Please contact Donna Bennett, Utility Billing Clerk, at (336) 427-0241 with questions or for more information.
Water/Sewer Service Application Please print, fill-out, and bring to Town Hall with all necessary documents and fees.
Automated Bank Draft form You must submit this document and a voided check to establish automated bank drafts.

How do I recycle?

As of December 2015, the Town of Mayodan provides curb-side recycling pick-up through a contract with Foot Waste Solutions.  Residential pick-up is every other Wednesday (see calendar for schedule). Items that can be recycled are listed below. Items should not be bagged (plastic bags are not recyclable), any food waste should be cleaned from cans.

NOTE: Styrofoam is not recyclable. Please do not put Styrofoam cups or carry-out food containers in recycling carts.

Commercial businesses that are serviced by the Town of Mayodan for regular solid waste pick-up are eligible to participate in the Town curb-side recycling program. Pick-up is every other week, the same as residential recycling pick-up.

What can be recycled:

  • Aluminum food and beverage containers;
  • Glass food and beverage containers – brown, clear, or green;
  • Ferrous (iron) cans;
  • PET plastic containers with the symbol #1 – with screw tops only, without tops;
  • HDPE natural plastic containers with the symbol #2 – narrow neck containers only (milk or water bottles);
  • HDPE pigmented plastic containers with the symbol #2 – narrow neck containers only, without tops (detergent, shampoo bottles, etc.);
  • Plastics with symbols #3, #4, #5, #6, #7 – narrow and screw top containers;
  • Newsprint; corrugated cardboard; Magazines; Catalogs; Cereal Boxes; Telephone Books; Printer Paper; Copier Paper; Mail; All other office paper without wax liners

Materials not accepted, include but are not limited to, the following:

Microwave Trays; Mirrors; Window or auto glass; Light bulbs; Ceramics; Porclain; Plastics (unnumbered); Plastic bags (grocery bags can be taken back to most major store chains); Coat Hangers; Glass cookware/bakeware; Household items such as cooking pots, toasters, etc.

How do I report a street light outage or request a street light be installed?

Report a street light outage or request a street light

You will need to have an email address to make the report. If you do not have an email address you may call Town Hall at 427-0241 to make a report.

To request a new street light please call the Town Manager at (336) 427-0241. The Town Manager will review the request and determine if the request is appropriate and will have the desired affect.  Lighting requests will be evaluated based on location, number of street lights in the area, number of properties affected, and if it will enhance the safety and security of the roadway or properties adjacent to the road.

What are guidelines for filling a swimming pool?

Filling A Pool Filling –Customers may request an adjustment to the utility bill for sewer usage when filling pools under the following circumstances: Adjustments may only be made once per calendar year. Customers must contact the Town at least 1 business day before initiating pool filling activities.

Fire Department hoses will not be used to fill pools except under special circumstances approved by the Public Works Director in advance. 

A $25 administrative fee (per day) shall be applied for any pool filled with a fire hose.

Pool filling of less than 3,000 gallons will not be given any credit. If a pool filling is more than 3,000 gallons but less than 10,000 gallons a credit of $20 will be given upon customer proof that they have purchased* a pool and contacted the Town before filling begins.

If a pool filling is 10,000 gallons or more, a credit of $50 will be given upon customer proof that they have purchased a pool and contacted the Town before filling begins. *Proof of purchase may include any of the following- previous year pool filling credit; receipt; or visual inspection by Town staff.

To determine how many gallons your pool holds make the following calculation:


For rectangular or square pools: Multiply the Length x Width x Average Depth x 7.5 = Total Gallons

EXAMPLE 20 x 10 x 4 x 7.5 = 6,000 gallons

For Oval/Kidney and Round Pools: Multiply the Diameter x Diameter X Average Depth x 5.9 = Total Gallons

EXAMPLE 12 x 12 x 4 x 5.9 = 3,398 gallons

Contact Donna Bennett, Utility Billing Clerk (336) 427-0241, if you have questions or to report a pool filling.

Does the town have leaf collection?

As of August 1, 2015, bagged grass and yard clippings are generally picked-up on Mondays, but may also be picked-up on Tuesdays or other days of the week depending on holiday schedules, workload, and weather.

Mayodan provides curb-side leaf pickup November through January. All leaves must be raked into piles behind the curb.  Please do not place leaves in the gutters or drainage ditches, this causes water to back-up onto the public roads and private property.  Leaf piles should not have any sticks, stones, garbage or other debris included in the piles.

Town crews move through the Town on a continual basis, however delays due to rain, snow, or extreme cold will affect the timing of leaf pick-up. Our goal is to provide leaf pickup at least three times throughout the season.

When is garbage collected and what does it cost?

Mayodan provides once-a-week curb-side solid waste pick-up for residential costumers (Tuesdays) and twice-a-week curb-side pick-up for commercial properties (Tuesdays and Fridays) that do not need a dumpster.

As of August 1, 2015, the Town contracts for Foothill Waste Solutions for solid waste pick-up.

Fees: (1 can) Residential $12.00 per month/Commercial $24.00 per month Additional Can charge: Residential $10.00 per month/Commercial $20.00 per month

Download our Solid Waste brochure.

How do I book an event at Elliott Duncan Park?

Contact the M-M Recreation Department to book the Gazebo or the grounds at Elliott Duncan Park.

Why does the Town flush hydrants?

You may notice Water Department crews working at hydrants and see water running down the street.

Your first thought may be that we are ignoring our own philosophy of conserving water.  We flush water lines through the use of hydrants, which is an important preventive maintenance activity.  Although it may appear to waste water, the process is part of a routine maintenance program necessary to maintain the integrity of the water system allowing us a continue to delivery the highest quality water possible to our customers.

As a result of the line flushing process, residents in the immediate vicinity of the work may experience temporary discoloration of their water. This discoloration consists primarily of harmless silt and air and does not affect the safety of the water. If you experience discoloration in your water after crews have been flushing in your neighborhood, clear the pipes in your home by running your water faucets in your home a few minutes.  We recommend using the tub or outside faucet.

The same philosophy of water line preventive maintenance is one that you should use in your own home to ensure the quality of water inside your home. Your home’s water heater should be drained and flushed on a regular basis, according to manufacturers’ recommendations, to keep it working effectively and efficiently.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why does the water system need to be routinely flushed?

A: The Town’s water distribution system is a complex network of pipes and storage tanks where sediment and deposits may naturally accumulate over time. If not removed, these materials may cause water quality deterioration, taste and odor problems, or discoloration of the water. Water may also stagnate in lesser used parts of the distribution system. This can result in degraded water quality.

Q: When does flushing occur?

A: Flushing takes place for approximately a two month period during the summer.  Flushing crews will be working during the day between 7:30 am and 4:30 pm.

Q: Is the Water Department the only ones that flush the lines?

A: Generally, the Water Department or the Water Plant performs flushing activities to clear the lines and to take pressure tests for the Fire Department and insure that the hydrants function properly.

Q: What should I do when I see town crews flushing hydrants in my area?

A: If you see a town crew flushing hydrants while driving, PLEASE DRIVE CAREFULLY. You may also want to delay any laundry washing until the crew is finished and you have checked your water for discoloration.

Q: What should I do after the flushing?

A: If the tap water is used during flushing, it could come out full of sediment and discoloration. If you encounter discolored water, shut the water off and wait several minutes. After waiting, check for clarity by running cold water for a few minutes allowing new water to work its way into your pipes. If not, wait a few more minutes and check again. We recommend using a tub or outside faucet to clear the line. In some cases, you may experience slight discoloration for a few hours. This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water; it does not affect the taste or water quality.

Q: What should I do if my water pressure or volume seems low after flushing?

A: Check your faucet and washer screens for trapped debris.

Q: Why doe the water look funny after hydrant flushing?

A: When a hydrant is opened, there will always be temporary incidences of discolored water containing fine sediment particles.  There is no health hazard associated with discolored water. Allow a few hours for discoloration to dissipate. To verify the water has settled, allow your cold water tap to run a few minutes. If the discoloration persists for more than twenty-four (24) hours, please contact our Water Department at (336) 427-0243.

Q: Is it Okay to drink the sediment-laden or discolored water during temporary disturbance events?

A: It is recommended that water users wait until the water has cleared before using it for potable (drinking) purposes.

Q: What is the silt in the water system after flushing?

A: Water contains minerals and these minerals react with the inside of the pipe to produce the by-product. This chemical reaction between the pipe and water is normal and natural process. This process can occur on the inside of the pipe and prevent adequate volume of water flow. The flushing process removes much of this by-product.

Q: What will happen if hydrants are turned on or off too quickly? A: This will cause “water hammer”. which is a pressure surge or wave when water in motion is forced to stop or change direction suddenly. The pressure wave can cause major problems, from noise and vibrations to pipe collapse. In home plumbing, this is experienced as a loud banging resembling a hammering noise. Water Department and Water Plant employees have received instruction on how to operate hydrant valves slowly to avoid hammer.
Accordion Sample Description

How do I purchase a cemetery plot?

Mayodan owns and maintains two cemeteries referred to as the “Old Cemetery” and the “New Cemetery”. 

The Old Cemetery is located between South 3rd and 4th Avenues adjacent to Roosevelt Street. There are no plots available in the Old Cemetery.

The New Cemetery is located between South 6th Ave and Ayersville Road. 

The Town allows regular burial, urn burial, and above-ground crypts, as regulated by the Town Cemetery Ordinance. 

Residents of the Town of Mayodan may purchase a plot for $500. All others are charged $800 per plot. 

Plots are sold in consecutive order at specified locations. Plots may be purchased at Town Hall during regular business hours.

Donna Bennett, Utility Billing Clerk (336) 427-0241

How do I book an event at Farris Memorial Park?

The Madison-Mayodan Recreation Department is responsible for scheduling and reserving the picnic shelters and playing fields at Farris Memorial Park. Call (336) 548-9572 for availability.